On 12/23/2016 08:10, John Comfort via dmarc-discuss wrote:
> Maybe it is time to rethink this, or open a more official dialogue.  I
> understand folks don't want to send reports.  I understand the privacy
> issue.  However, without these reports, or at least *some* information
> sent regarding the unaligned emails, we are at an impasse to migrating
> to a 'reject'.  For certain environments (e.g. financial), we cannot
> reject *any* legitimate emails and therefore require verification of
> all emails that are rejected.

It may be difficult, but it is not impossible.  I say this as somebody
who, at a financial, tried to get a DMARC "blocking" policy in place on
a sub-domain seeing x00,000's of fraudulent messages each day. But
because a few hundred legitimate messages would also have been blocked,
we couldn't proceed. Our business side partner couldn't accept the risk
of blocking those 00's of messages, but also didn't have the
authority/resources to investigate and address the root cause. Each case
is different, but often you need to check and make sure you've got
sufficient "clout" on the business side.

In 2016 Bank of America managed to get to "quarantine" after four years
of effort. Believe me, they didn't want to block legitimate messages,
but they understood the risk of allowing the fraudulent messages to
continue. And eventually, they sorted it out. Wells Fargo too. Discover
Card, too.

It may take time and effort but even stodgy, traditional financials can
get there.

> I would be perfectly fine with limiting the information if people are
> really that paranoid about header information.  For example:  date,
> receiving server information, originating smtp server sender, and
> subject line.  This would be a good start at least.

I believe Receivers already understand that they can subset the
information they share via failure reports, and do so.

If you look at the failure reports from NetEase, you only get certain
5322 headers - Message-ID, Received, To/From, dates and times,
authentication results, etc. Certainly there are times you want more,
but this is helpful and useful information.

--S.