We've recently started using DMARC for our domain, and we're doing our
best to get everything passing before we switch from p=none to p=reject.
Unfortunately, the information we're getting from the aggregate reports
that various domains are sending us is not always sufficient for us to
figure out DMARC failures. We thought we could address this by putting
an "ruf" field into our DMARC record, but after doing that, we're still
not getting any failure reports. After further research, I think this is
because failure reports aren't actually generated for p=none, i.e.,
they're only generated for p=reject.

Is that correct? If so, that seems like a real problem that I don't know
how to get past. Here's the thing... I'm pretty sure most of the DMARC
failures we're seeing are actually legitimate email messages, but like I
said, we don't have enough information from the aggregate reports to be
able to figure out why they're failing DMARC. There's a chicken-and-egg
problem here: I can't get enough information to figure out what's going
wrong with these emails until I enable p=reject, and because I don't
want to bounce legitimate emails, I can't enable p=reject until I've
figured out what's going wrong with these emails. So, what am I supposed
to do?

Also, another thing I'm confused about from reading the available
information about DMARC is whether, once we enable p=reject, we'll get
copies of /all/ messages that are rejected due to DMARC failures, or
whether instead it's up to the discretion of each receiving MTA to
decide whether to generate a failure report. If the former, then at
least theoretically, we could enable p=reject briefly, collect some
sample DMARC failure reports to troubleshoot, then disable p=reject,
troubleshoot the failures, and forward them on to their intended
recipients, so no email ends up getting lost. But if it's up to the
discretion of the MTA whether to generate a bounce report, then even if
we only enable p=reject for a short period of time, we could end up
causing legitimate emails to be lost, and we'd really rather not have
that happen.

Thanks,

Jonathan Kamens