On May 30, 2014, at 6:46 PM, Steven M Jones <s...@crash.com> wrote:

> On 05/30/2014 10:20 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> DMARC changes are not off the table for Yahoo. ...
>> Great.  Then instead of submitting DMARC as is via a non-IETF process, let's
>> have a working group chartered to do that work.
>
> The Independent Submissions stream is an IETF process. However it does
> not involve a working group.
>
> Whether due to too much concern over potentially incompatible changes,
> or too much alarm at the language used to try to avoid it, past attempts
> to form a working group failed. More than one attempt was made. The
> Independent Submission stream was not the first choice.
>
> I have wanted to see DMARC - and any other necessary protocols - become
> the subject of a working group for two years. I hope we can find a way
> to make that happen.

Dear Steven,

I agree with this view.  I am confident a fairly effective protocol can allow a
DMARC domain to communicate whether another domain forwards their messages.
This could be seen as a type of federation similar to how single-sign-on works.
 Once such abilities have been instantiated between the domain asserting DMARC
and the domain enforcing DMARC, nothing else really needs to change. There
would be less concern about the negative impact DMARC could have on other email
uses.

Since this communication would serve a very small faction of overall email
traffic from a DNS perspective, DNS should be fine. Results could be cached for
300 seconds or more to improve scaling and at the same time reduce latency.
Even then, DMARC feedback would be a minor fraction of email related DNS
traffic.

Not offering feedback would be analogous to a parent denying the existence of
their own children then having them fend for themselves.  This attitude burdens
receivers lacking knowledge about which exceptions are valid.

No other domain should offer these answers.  With that said, DNAME would also
allow several DMARC domains to select a common feedback zone.  It seems this
would be close to what John Levine described, except each DMARC domain would be
their own trust anchor for all their related email traffic.

Regards,
Douglas Otis