On 6/28/2014 9:41 AM, Wei Chuang wrote:
Note this isn't a full proposal as we would like the concept to be
considered first.  If this discussion is successful, we would like to also
discuss a related improvement to SPF and DMARC, as well as the binary
encoding change.  At the conclusion we can have a longer discussion about
the details of CONTENT-TYPE: multipart/dkim-forwarding-history or write a
draft that tightly specifies how this works.

Wei,

Any "chain of trust" idea will work with a honored client/server negotiated protocol steps and ideals.

The problem has always been in dealing with the deviation from the ideal protocol steps and compliancy expectations.

So if you have a protocol ABC, what are the benefits of this ABC processing? What is the payoff for the compliant mail receiver? What is the payoff for the originating/author domain? What happens when there is deviation, something broke in the chain of MIME diffs? What do you want receivers to do?

You must think of the massive volume of wasteful mail processing. Not everyone is going to do this just for nothing. It has to have a meaningful payoff, and today that payoff comes in the form of mail filtering policies with rejection/quarantine/discard author domain policy concepts.

So if your proposal says:

   "If you follow these steps, the author domain
    is OK with you (because you asked him) honoring
    rejection, if you see a problem, then there is
    something wrong with it and its better (trust the
    author policy) if you just reject it."

then we you got something to consider.

But I think in this case, your proposal is a higher processing complexity factor when all you need to do is ask the author if the final/last signature in the chain is an trusted and/or authorized signer domain. If you are not asking the author (directly or indirectly) if any of this forwarding stuff is ok, then I think you have a security conflict (loophole) to consider.

--
HLS