> Alessandro Vesely writes:

>  > If the spec is going to be read by ignorants like me, it's better
>  > to repeat than to omit.

> -1.  It's good that you read the spec, but that's not the primary
> purpose of the spec.  It's a bad idea to repeat definitions clearly
> stated in another document (even in informal comments on the formal
> spec) when you refer to the original document; you're just asking for
> new ambiguity.

+1. Repeating stuff like this is in the long term a surefire of silly states,
where one repetition gets updated but not another.

The "running code" that comes to mind is the MIME specification, which
originally had a bunch of repeated and overlapping syntax definitions. In this
case it only took one revision for it to get out of sync and cause confusion.

                                Ned