On 04/09/2015 03:24 PM, Anne Bennett wrote:
Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net> writes:

A database is still needed of which domains will have an
outbound mail stream with two signatures.  Some how the list domains
will still need to register with the Yahoos and tell the Yahoos,
"Please send us two signatures authorizing out list domain."    I
would like to call this a "registration" problem because thats seems
to be the area of disagreement as a real problem.
I have to agree; if this is the case, to me, it is a
show-stopper.  The genius of the DKIM and SPF and DMARC
approaches is that they are DNS-based, and thus completely
decentralized.  The idea that lists would have to register with
the e-mail providers of all of their contributors, or that I
as a (very small!) e-mail provider would have to figure out
what is and isn't a list, doesn't scale.

This can be solved by having the owners of mailing lists publish a yet-to-be-defined DNS record in which they proclaim the presence of a mailing list within that domain. I'm contemplating to write a draft for this, as more than one of the suggested solutions to the mailing list problem might benefit from this.

Having said that, I don't like the idea of designing all sorts of auxilliary technologies to solve the problems introduced by DMARC, or better said: if we'd come up with such helper technologies we should try to address as many use cases, presented in [1], as possible. If we do not, at the the end of the day we'll have created a myriad of new technologies, considerably increased the complexity of the e-mail ecosystem worldwide with a net result of zero as long as senders still treat p=reject as p=none/quarantine.

/rolf

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dmarc-interoperability-01.txt