On 5/17/15 7:38 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Scott Kitterman writes:
>> On May 17, 2015 2:48:58 PM AST, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
>> <step...@xemacs.org> wrote:

processing on

>>> I assume you mean "... and prospectively reject"?  (GNU
Mailman
>>> at least already provides options to munge From or wrap the
>>> message, conditional on the result of such a test.)
>>>
>>> For completeness it should be listed,
>
>> Dave asked for a comprehensive list,
>
> An acknowledgment of that is the first thing I wrote after
asking
> the qualifying question, as you see.
>
>> as you saw wouldn't be acceptable in many cases.
>
> The argument supports a stronger conclusion than that
IMHO.  Had
> there been a wiki page for this list I wouldn't have
posted here, but
> I'm new and don't know the procedures for starting a page,
and others
> had posted to the list -- I just wanted the argument, and the
> stronger conclusion, on the record in case I'm not around
when the
> wiki page or BCP or whatever does get initialized.

Dear Stephen,

Wiki is fine, but traditionally anything somewhat involved
should be published in the form of an Internet Draft.
Reasonable tools are available.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-otis-dmarc-escape-02#section-4

Describes fairly easy approaches that require increasing
cooperation from larger providers.

1) Conditionally permit Sender header field alignment

This could be defined as a "public" policy that indicates as
result of use of public mailing lists and general email use,
the domain needs to allow alignment with the Sender header
field.  By having handling defined in such a case, it would
allow recipients a safer way to override otherwise
disruptive policies causing message being munged or placed
into spam folders.

2) Define a replacement Author header

This would better ensure email interchange rather than
placing author roles into various ad hoc locations.

3) Third-Party Authorization

Perhaps the effect made by option 1 or 2 may pressure
providers into offering information that ONLY they have on
behalf of their recipients.  Such information would allow
more effective and safer handling to deal of third-party
sources where legitimate messages are likely disrupted with
the effect of preventing open discussions with known authors.

The Selection of which message are to receive a message
siglet to authorize a third party domain could be
accomplished using various DKIM siglets, but will require
greater handling overhead and will be far less responsive
when abuse is subsequently detected.   Once the issue of
overhead and responding to abuse are carefully considered,
the general approach outline in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-otis-tpa-label-07 might be
reconsidered.

TPA-Label could even become a hybrid of
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-levine-dkim-conditional-01
where initial signatures are confirmed by the
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6376 by using forensics base
on the bh= and z= tag with an additional tag that indicates
predefined sets of headers that must remain unchanged as
well as a list of domains that may reintroduce signed
messages. When an intermediary is authorized, an expanded
authentication results header might prove simpler than using
forensics.  Either way, a hybrid approach would need less
specified within TPA-Label resource records and still be
able to retract specific authorizations that have gone bad.
The hybrid approach would also help facilitate which
outbound messages should receive the message siglets and
which domains are authorized to re-sign on behalf of the
DMARC domain.

Various encapsulation scheme seem fairly risky since they
allow unseen content to reconstruct messages that otherwise
fail validation and will generally make email more confusing.

Both encapsulation and DKIM siglets will allow wide-open
abuse (abuse beyond the control of the DMARC domain).

Regards,
Douglas Otis