> If this hack essentially weakens a DKIM signed message so that it can
> survive the transport, the MLM changes and the final destination. then
> why not just do create this weakness with just one original v1
> signature using the i= (AUID) to pass the resigner information?
>
> Just as you expect the v2 signature to survive, and also not get
> stripped, why can't that happen with the weak v1 author domain signature?

A weak single signature makes it more vulnerable to a replay attack. With two
signatures, the MTA --> MLM is protected (which is important) and the MLM -->
MTA is also protected although there is a time window of vulnerability.
However, if the first leg is protected then it's smaller risk if the second leg
is less protected.

Thus, it's easier for the MLM (MTA --> MLM) to filter it properly the first
time.

-- Terry

With two sigs, all I can see is that the first leg of the transport is
stronger

    PATH: MTA ----> MLM  strong 1st party v1 signature
    PATH: MLM o---> MTA  weak 1st party v2 signature

  From: user@author.example
     l= <-- weak sizing
     h= <-- weak header binding list

Just as you expect the v2 signature to survive, and also not get
stripped, why can't that happen with the weak v1 author domain signature?

The resigner domain can be passed via the AUID i= tag.

The final receiver will now see weak first party signature and the
OPTIONAL stronger resigner signature.

Since this is a DMARC extension, the trigger tag can be used such as
"dualsig=y" on the DMARC record to enable the logic. But that wouldn't
be needed as long as the first party sig is survivable which is all we
are doing with the v2 sig.

Unless I missing something, using this simpler method offer
compatibility with the non-signing MLM as well.

The only benefit using 2 sigs I see is the stronger first leg
transport to the MLM and as long as the MLM domain is known, it
doesn't matter at the point why you send this guy as long as its
survivable for the distribution.   The final receiver can use the i=
tag of the original weak signature to get the permission to
"authorize" the potential resigner.

--
HLS