On January 22, 2017 3:30:14 PM EST, Kurt Andersen <ku...@drkurt.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Peter Goldstein <pe...@valimail.com>
>wrote:
>

>> . . . ARC . . . inherits . . . from the DKIM RFC.  The DKIM RFC
>explicitly
>> requires verifiers to validate signatures with bit sizes ranging from
>512
>> bits to 2048 bits.
>>
>> There is a separate effort going on in the context of the UTA working
>group to address technologically obsolete encryption strength
>recommendations that have appeared over time in a variety of different
>RFCs. I don't think that adding yet another independent reference is a
>good
>idea and I am strongly opposed to trying to torque the ARC requirements
>be different from DKIM.
>
>If Scott is planning to make dkimpy non-conformant to the DKIM spec, I
>think that is regrettable, but I don't see that making the problem
>worse
>with ARC "going its own way" helps anyone.
>
>--Kurt

No responsible operator has used the RFC minimum DKIM key sizes for a long
time. They were trivial to bypass half a decade ago.  No one has ever
complained about 1024 bits default minimum being too big.  I did once get a
complaint about the Debian opendkim package suggesting the minimum should be
2048 bits.

Maybe some other working group will accomplish something someday is not a good
reason to perpetuate obsolete crypto in this one.

Scott K