On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 3:58 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> In article <59c8d406.7000...@openfortress.nl> you write:
> >I am looking forward to your responses.  Please keep me in Cc: if
> possible?
>
> I hate to be totally negative, but this draft revives a lot of things
> that we considered and rejected when we did DKIM.
>
> Marking content in an MUA is a WKBI*.  There is no reason to believe
> that users would understand content marking or would make reasonable
> decisions based on it.  As a general rule, anything that puts security
> policy in the hands of end users doesn't work.  Think of all the
> browser bad SSL cert warnings you've clicked through.

Knowing what changed is actually something that could go into a spam filter
decision, however.

It may be more complicated than arc.  And we did have an example proposal
that foundered on the deletion case.

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dmarc/current/msg01444.html

One could also make a spam/phishing decision and show the original, forcing
the user to click to see the modified version.  In most mailing list cases,
the subject/footer is mostly barely useful (quick, does this mailing list
have a footer?).  Ie, one could spam score both the original and the
modified version, and make choices based on the difference.

> Also, there are more ways to change content that anyone can describe.
> Some of the harder to describe are recoding between 7 and 8 bit and
> base64, reducing the size and resolution of images (common on phones)
> and reordering MIME parts.

There is an obvious question of "handles everything" vs "handles the
99-percentile case better".

Ie, a mechanism that explicitly handled subject prefixes and footers might
do a better job than ARC, it might have better adoption and fewer
deployment headaches, even as it allows some set of modifications to fail.
It might also be harder to

Also, among what you're talking about, I think the 7/8/base64 stuff would
be covered by his MIME canonicalization.  Although I've seen web proxies or
clients which resize photos, I don't think I've ever seen an MTA do it...
which doesn't mean they couldn't, but I'm not sure it's a use case we have
to try and handle.

Ie, I would have been happy to have changed Google Groups to allow DKIM
signed mail to pass through, but we feel that current anti-spam laws mean
we have to include an unsub link.  We would have routed out any of the
other types of changes you're talking about because DKIM passing to get the
mail through is more important.

Finally, it is pretty clear from the ARC work that big mail systems
> are more interested in telling recipient systems the identities of the
> parties that handled a message than how it changed or whether any of
> those parties thought the changes were a good idea.

Google was the one with the previous diff based proposal, I would have been
happy to avoid the "who" question if we could have
done something more exact.

Brandon