On Friday, September 29, 2017 07:53:50 AM Rick van Rein wrote:
> > Also, there are more ways to change content that anyone can describe.
> > Some of the harder to describe are recoding between 7 and 8 bit and
> > base64, reducing the size and resolution of images (common on phones)
> > and reordering MIME parts.
>
> This is the sort of thing I was pitching for with this draft.  Not
> everything is so trivial that I would say they need no DKIM or ARC
> re-signing.
>
>  * 7/8 bit and base64: I think this can be covered by mapping most body
> parts to their binary form; and by canonicalising text/* specially by
> mapping it to Unicode in a UTF-8 representation.  This misses out on
> mapping between ß and ss, but I am willing to accept that
> language-specifics are changes to content that require DKIM re-signing.
>
>  * changes to size and resolution constitute change to the content and
> would require DKIM re-signing.  I'd suspect this kind of transformation
> to be done near the recipient, so explicit trust in the transforming
> party may be setup explicitly?
>
>  * reordering of MIME parts in a multipart/* would be recognised by this
> mechanism, because they are independently signed and listed as
> sub-parts.  MUAs (or MTA spam filters) may judge that they like this, or
> not.

Making DKIM signing MIME aware was specifically rejected during DKIM
development due to implementation complexity.  It didn't magically get easier
in the mean time.  For the implementation I help maintain, dkimpy, large
portions of the existing code would have to be thrown out and re-written
(integrating ARC into the code base was relatively minor compared to this).

If you've made it MIME aware, I think you've changed it enough it's no longer
DKIM and you should call it something else (and I'm pretty sure I'd never
implement it).

Scott K