> We can’t just
>use a wildcard CNAME record because there doesn’t seem to be any way to
>generate the necessary second level subdomain that we
>need (the _dmarc.baddomain.gov.uk).

As you surmise, that won't work.  For one thing _dmarc.*.gov.uk isn't
a wildcard, and for another, *.gov.uk only matches names that don't
already exist and don't have an existing parent.  So if, for example, mod.gov.uk
exists, *.mod.gov.uk won't match.  This is not considered to be a bug.

> DNAME would be the most obvious way to do this, but it’d need a wildcard
> DNAME and they’re
>‘frowned upon’ ☺.

Indeed they are, because they don't work either.  You cannot have any
DNS records or any NS delegations below a DNAME.  In practice DNAMEs
are not very useful.

> Before we start thinking about doing something kludgy (probably looking for
> failed lookups for TXT records
>in logs and adding the subdomain to the zone, which sucks), does anyone have
>any ideas that we could try? I can’t believe this is
>the first time this has been encountered!

Honestly, you need to figure out how to get the attention of of the
people to whom you have delegated subdomains and have them fix their
DNS.  I realize this is not easy.

I have often surmised that rather than delegating subdomain zones,
you're much better off one big zone with a provisioning system that
lets people mess with the records in their subtree.  Then it's still
your provisioning system so if they get things wrong, or you want to
help them set up records like SPF or DMARC that they haven't gotten
around do doing themselves, you can just do it.

R's,
John

--
Regards,