From: John R Levine [mailto:jo...@taugh.com]
Sent: 20 December 2017 17:58
To: Kurt Andersen (b) <kb...@drkurt.com>
Cc: Ian Levy <ian.l...@ncsc.gov.uk>; dmarc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Preventing abuse of public-suffix-level domains

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Kurt Andersen (b) wrote:
>> I need to be able to emulate in some way the effect of SPF and DMARC
>> records for non-existent first level subdomains under the PSL gov.uk
>> - to stop spoof mail apparently coming from them being delivered.

> I'm quite sure that you will need to do this via synthetic records
> being returned either by the gov.uk name servers or by having gov.uk
> refer to a general "parked domain" name server (farm) for all of the
> non-existent subdomains ...

With your current DNS setup, you could add this, no new name servers
needed:

*.gov.uk. IN TXT "v=spf1 -all"
*.gov.uk. IN TXT "v=DMARC1; p=reject; rua=mailto:<something>;
ruf=mailto:<something>"

This will cover all undelegated names below gov.uk, e.g. abc.gov.uk and
abc.def.gov.uk.  It won't cover names under existing subdomains, e.g.
abc.mod.gov.uk but it's better than nothing.

Unless the people who host your DNS are willing to let you use customized stunt
servers, which seems unlikely considering who they are, that's about the best
you can do without getting the cooperation of your delegatees.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY Please
consider the environment before reading this e-mail.
https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fjl.ly&data=02%7C01%7Cian.levy%40ncsc.gov.uk%7Cbd63e2124c974606c8a808d547d33b16%7C14aa5744ece1474ea2d734f46dda64a1%7C0%7C0%7C636493894920036818&sdata=iUTep54zAORBtIwqsMU%2BjEg51F%2FhxgAEPX%2BXl9IEfmU%3D&reserved=0
This information is exempt under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) and
may be exempt under other UK information legislation. Refer any FOIA queries to
ncscinfo...@ncsc.gov.uk