However I feel like rejecting things because of additional white space (in front of v=...) or the wrong case is being a little bit pedantic.

Rather, I think that if removing a spurious / leading space or folding case causes the DMARC record to be valid, it behooves us to tolerate such minor errors.

I don't want to be so pedantic that people push back on adopting what I (and I assume others) think is a good technology.

Is doing so against the letter of the specification, absolutely.  Is it within the spirit of the specification, I think so.

There is quite a bit of dynamic tension in this topic.

There is pressure to be tolerant, best captured in Jon Postel's robustness directive, and there is a slippery slope of having no firm, clear and precise standard.

If more flexibility is viewed by the community as desirable, then the community should enhance the specification to allow it. This improves robustness while retaining a firm, clear and precise standard.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking