DMARC contains what are really two distinct mechanisms, a reporting
mechanism and a policy mechanism. The policy mechanism is largely a
request to the verifier about what to do in the event that a message is
received that does not comply with policy.

There are domains that would like to receive reports, but whose usage of
mail doesn't make it useful to express a policy. Conversely, there are
domains that want to express a policy but aren't interested in reports.
I'd like to advocate that DMARC be split up into two different documents
dealing with reporting and policy separately. If it's useful to have a
separate document that defines what it means to be "DMARC-compliant"
that is referenced by both, that would be OK.

There was a similar situation with MTA-STS which had both a policy and a
reporting mechanism, and that was broken into two standards-track RFCs:
RFC 8460 (SMTP TLS Reporting) and RFC 8461 (SMTP MTA Strict Transport
Security). I consider this to be a relevant precedent.

-Jim