I'm getting the impression that what we need is a non-normative
deployment guide, not as part of the spec.

Although Section 8 of the spec currently has normative requirements for
implementations. Yes, that's different from deployment but having those
requirements to implement something that isn't deployed much (4a
specifically) seems unnecessarily burdensome.

Taking out stuff that people don't actually do or marking it as optional seems like a reasonable change to the next version of the spec. But I still think a non-normative deployment guide would help people.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY