 From: "John R Levine" <jo...@taugh.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2019 5:19 PM
To: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superu...@gmail.com>
Cc: "IETF DMARC WG" <dmarc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Debugging and preventing DKIM failures-
suggestion
> And as John said, there have been numerous proposals over the years of
ways
> to annotate a message with what "standard" mutations were done so that
at
> verification time the receiver could decide which mutations it was
willing
> to forgive, but the community showed no interest in such complexities.

It is my impression that the proponents of this idea tended not to be very
familiar with mailing list software and imagined that most mutations were
simple, like adding a subject tag or a text footer. Those happen, but
they are the very tip of the iceberg. Modern list managers add, delete,
and reorder MIME parts, flatten HTML into text, and a huge list of other
things that no mutuation catalog could plausibly describe.

That's one of the reasons that ARC doesn't try to say what's changed, just
what the authentication results were before and after.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY