Van: Hector Santos [mailto:hsan...@isdg.net]
Verzonden: woensdag 20 mei 2020 22:01
Aan: dmarc@ietf.org
Onderwerp: Re: [dmarc-ietf] DMARC bis: ticket 69: add JSON reporting format?

On 5/20/2020 2:43 PM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

> Transaction?  I thought we were talking about aggregate reports.

So am I.

> There are no transactions there.

Really?

Each SMTP session can be considered a transaction. You are provided results on
the these DMARC processed transaction.

> I mean, what is the CSV format of the following report, that I sent
> yesterday for this list:

Sorry, if I ignored it.

Forgetting fact that you can your report easier to read for consumers, these
would be an example of the CSV field headers.

CSV headers:

report_metadata.org_name, report_metadata.email, report_metadata.report_id,
report_metadata.date_range.begin, report_metadata.date_range.end

Policy_Published.domain, Policy_Published.adkim, Policy_Published.aspf,
Policy_Published.p

record.row, record.row.source_ip.record.count.
record.row.policy_evaluated, record.row.policy_evaluated.disposition,
record.row,policy_evaluated.disposition,
record.row.policy_evaluated.dkim, record.row.policy_evaluated.spf

Note: You don't have to stick to redundant "name space" field names.

>>> ...  Can we get back to work, please?
>>
>> Sorry, but I consider a rude, disrespectful and ignorant statement,
>> to be saying that.
>

> No personal attack intended.  I'm being rude because I have the
> impression that you are not defending a concrete, well defined need,
> but instead find new arguments opportunistically to pursue a vague sense of
> format fashion.

That's a personal attack. If you don't understand the proposal, you should back
off or ask for clarification.

> You
> shifted from an asserted necessity of producers to a possible desire
> of consumers.

I did no such thing. I won't repeat it, but it appears you didn't understand
the proposal.

>Now you introduce formats like CSV which make no sense in DMARC
>context.

I disagree. See above.

> I hold that CSV cannot satisfy DMARC requirements.

Hold it all you want. You know it would not be true. See above.

? Please do contradict me by
> showing us how an aggregate report in CSV would look like, as well as
> some ideas for defining the corresponding template, similar to what
> Appendix C of RFC 7489 specifies for XML.

Ok, I won't but if you don't understand the proposal, you should ask for
clarification.

CSV can work, so can JSON.  Limiting it and locking it down to XML
only would be a limitation.   You can agree or not agree with that.

--
HLS