I'm relaying these DMARC questions/concerns on behalf of an email admin at
another university.  I quickly searched this list's archives for the Sender
header vs DMARC alignment issue and don't see much aside from a conversation in
May 2015.  Is it worth further discussion and/or an issue in Trac?  I think I
know the answer to the second concern, but I'll defer to people more adept at
explaining the nuance.

See below...

Thanks,
Jesse Thompson
UW-Madison

"
I don't see on the list of issues the most fundamental problem of DMARC, namely
that it conflicts with RFC 5322 on the use of the From and Sender header fields
[1] and possibly with RFC 6326 as to the significance of DKIM fail [2].  The
former is the more serious problem. Making DMARC alignment part of a standard
for Internet messages requires a revision of RFC 5322. I'd love to see this
resolved.

[1]
The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
   that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
   for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the
   mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
   message.

[2]
signature verification failure does not force rejection of the message;
"