On 6/2/2020 11:12 AM, Pete Resnick wrote:
On 2 Jun 2020, at 13:01, Dave Crocker wrote:

There's no reason that DMARC couldn't have included the sender or tried to have some kind of
PRA like spf v2... but that's not the goal.

But the Sender: field is not reliably present and, of course, DMARC needs an identifier that is reliably present.

Dave, could you explain that? Coding-wise, there's surely no reason that an implementation can't say, "if 5322.sender is present then sender = 5322.sender else sender = 5322.from". So you could say that the identifier of sender is reliably present, since it's taken from 5322.from if 5322.sender isn't present. But maybe I'm missing something. Please explain.

Not sure what you are asking.  What I mean is that it isn't always present.

If Sender: contains the same address as From:, then Sender does not have to be present, and often/usually isn't.

So when someone comes along and changes From: -- such as to hack around the DMARC problem for intermediaries -- the semantic of the Sender information is lost.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking