On 7/6/2020 10:03 AM, John R Levine wrote:
No, I'm not saying render them differently.  I'm saying that if the second
signature passes, then the second one signed the bolted-on spam but also
told you how to strip it away to get the original.  So, do that; if the
author signature now passes, you have the original "clean" message to show instead of the hijacked message.  If not, you have a spammy message to deal
with, as before.

I don't understand this scenario at all.  Why would I want to show my user a message forwarded by a spammer?  If the original sender wanted me to see it, she could have sent it to me directly, or through a legit mailing list.

Perhaps, like some others, I'm not understanding this correctly, but I think the proposal has nothing at all to do with what the recipient sees.  Rather, I've understood this as an attempt to reverse additions made by a Mediator, with the goal of validating the origination DKIM signature.  Presumably that is so as to use the origination domain's reputation and even permit DMARC to validate.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking