On 13/07/2020 05:10, Dave Crocker wrote:
I've just submitted an initial draft to define an RFC5322.Author field:

      https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-crocker-dmarc-author/

Dave,
since you also posted a second draft, I'd strike considerations about the Sender: from this one. In particular, the 4th paragraph of the Introduction, "Because the current [...]", is distracting and unhelpful.

I'd explicitly mention DMARC, rather than use circumlocutions mentioning generic email protections which use the From: field.

Another use case of Author: is to indicate multiple authors. Like From: and unlike Sender:, Author: supports a list of mailboxes. Since, DMARC filters don't behave well with multi-address From:, using Author: can be a handy alternative for those joint messages. In fact, the current spec says:

   o  Messages bearing a single RFC5322.From field containing multiple
      addresses (and, thus, multiple domain names to be evaluated) are
      typically rejected because the sorts of mail normally protected by
      DMARC do not use this format;

I submitted ticket 74[*] to address the latter point, which is inconsistent as either all or none of the mail belonging to a given domain is subject to DMARC filtering. There is no way to define which sorts of mail is "normally protected". The quoted rule deviously restricts the format of From:.

I'd support making that a WG I-D. IMHO, it could be standard track and modify RFC 5322 if accepted.

Best

[*] https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/ticket/74