In article <78fd8b26-0bed-ac36-842d-a851ec04d...@wisc.edu> you write:
>On 8/7/20 2:12 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> My guess is that MIT figured Microsoft will host this for free, that's
>> great, totally unaware that some of its users' mail would silently
>> break.
>
>Customers of Microsoft don't like to call things bundled in an expensive
>package "free".

I have no idea what their pricing ie. My university uses Gmail for the
alumni service and I believe that actually is free.

>Maybe it was inflicted by the domain owner onto the person maintaining the
>mailing list.  (In my experience, this is
>where people realize that no one has been maintaining/patching the mailing
>list, unaware of DMARC, etc.)

The IETF is entirely aware of DMARC, and their main mailing lists use
a version of my dmarc.fail hack. This one's off in a corner, on the list of
things
to be cleaned up.

>My peeve in recent years is that universities were essentially coerced
>(economically) into being the customers of
>Microsoft/Google and then the email admins are told to sit down and let the
>adults talk about what they think customers
>need from DMARC, ARC, etc.  It's why I'm constantly sticking my foot in my
>mouth here and M3AAWG; trying to assert a
>voice.

If it's not obvious, we do appreciate it.  Way too many of them say whew, we
can blame the vendor
and not worry about it.

>We need faculty/alumni/emeriti forwarding to work without being told that
>Microsoft can't do it without breaking DMARC.

Yup.

>We need spoofing protection for all of our domains without being told we're
>misdeploying.

I would be interested to better undertstand the meaning of "need"
here. It is my impression that most people vastly overestimate how
much of a phish target they are. Paypal and big banks certainly are,
other places, a lot less so.

R's,
John