Although I re-raised the change log issue as part of the auto-forward problem,
I am hoping that it will have significant benefit to the mailing list community
also.

Of the three types of content changes that I proposed, the easiest to specify
and get implemented is the first type, where the mediator only adds content,
adds a change log indicating the additions, and signs the result.   I am hoping
and assuming that if mailing lists have freedom to add their branding to the
subject and body, most lists would not need to make more complex changes.

The signed change log would allow participating recipients to identify the
signed additions added by the list or other mediator, while also identifying
the signed original after the list additions are virtually removed.   Once the
additions and the original are reliably identified to a source domain,
suspicion of spoofing is no longer a concern.  Each chunk of content can be
evaluated based on the reputation of the verified source domain and the
specifics of the content.

Nested additions are possible.    Each new signature adds an entry to a
verification stack.   Any change can be removed, virtually or actually, by
reversing the change at each level, working backwards from last to first.   In
practice, the stack is expected to be short.  To prevent malicious misuse, the
specification should put a small limit on the number of layers in the stack.

Just as importantly, I believe it solves the problem of letting the list know
whether From rewriting is necessary or not.   I argue that there is no
information-leakage risk associated with a domain publishing a DNS entry that
says "This domain understands multi-author documents of type 1".    This type
of flag says nothing about what the domain will do with any particular message
with multiple authorship.  The recipient domain will have the option of passing
the entire message, stripping the wrapper and passing the original, or blocking
the whole thing.   But it will not be blocking a message because it does not
understand the message's actual identity, which is the cause of our current
problem.   Once a list knows that its identity will not be misjudged, it gains
the freedom to assume that its content will be judge fairly, so "From"
rewriting should not be necessary when sending to domains that have published
this flag.

Because this approach adds confidence rather than risk, I am hopeful that even
AOL would be willing to implement support for it.

The more complex changes, edits and deletions, require a more complex
specification and more complex code.   That level of specification will be
needed to provide a solution to spam filters that do URL rewriting.   But that
complexity can wait for another day while we try to get a level 1 change log
accepted.

John, I am hoping that you find some opportunity here.   Do you?

Doug Foster