SPF/DMARC are not optimal tools for detecting malice.    In my experience, the
abundance of sender configuration errors are the limiting factor.

However, I disagree about negative reputation.    Content filtering alone is
insufficient and even more error prone.   In the last year, I have had spam
campaigns about LED lighting, stand-up desks, touchless thermometers, and knife
sharpeners.  I cannot anticipate all the ways that spammers will hide their
dirty deeds.   But I know it is spam, not merely unwanted advertising, because
of receiving many similar messages from many different domains using many
different servers.   Third-party RBLs help but are insufficient.   I am
gradually building my own reputation database based on the traffic that I am
receiving.   By blocking the problem sources, I have been able to get the spam
problem under something approaching good control.   Content filtering is a
useful tool for day-zero detection of a new spam source.   Once a source is
detected, it needs to be blocked.

Whether a message passes SPF and DMARC criteria is part of my search critieria
for unwanted traffic, but definitely not the only one.   As has been observed,
actual spoofing of the From address is not a huge part of my problem at
present.   This is largely because spammers have easy enough tools in Friendly
Name spoofing and corporate logo misuse.   But I also attribute that low volume
to the existence of SPF and DMARC.

Doug Foster