On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM Gene Hightower <dm...@digilicious.com>
wrote:

> From the document:
>
> <https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-00.html:>
>
> > 4.1. Authentication Mechanisms
>
> > The following mechanisms for determining Authenticated Identifiers
> > are supported in this version of DMARC: […]
>
> > [RFC3986], which can authenticate both the domain found in an
> > [RFC5322] HELO/EHLO command (the HELO identity) and the domain found
> > in an SMTP MAIL command (the MAIL FROM identity). DMARC uses the
> > result of SPF authentication of the MAIL FROM identity. Section 2.4
> > of [RFC7208] describes MAIL FROM processing for cases in which the
> > MAIL command has a null path.
>
> RFC-3986 is titled “Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax.”
> I suspect a reference to RFC-7208 was intended here.
>
> RFC-5322 is the standard for the Internet Message Format, which doesn't
> have a HELO/EHLO. I suspect a reference to RFC-5321 was intended here.
>
> So, maybe this section should read:
>
> “[RFC7208], which can authenticate both the domain found in an
>  [RFC5321] HELO/EHLO command (the RFC5321.HELO identity) and the
>  domain found in an SMTP MAIL command (the RFC5321.MailFrom
>  identity). DMARC uses the result of SPF authentication of the MAIL
>  FROM identity. Section 2.4 of [RFC7208] defines the MAIL FROM
>  identity for cases in which the MAIL command has a null path.”

Thank you, Gene.

The text in question is taken directly from RFC 7489, so I'll follow up
with the authors of that document to get clarity on what was intended, and
change the new base spec if necessary.

--

*Todd Herr* | Sr. Technical Program Manager
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.