On Wed, 2 Dec 2020, Michael Thomas wrote:
different in that respect. In fact as far as I can tell they are identical modulo the i= difference.

Please reread the ARC spec.  The ARC-Authentication-Results at level N tells you whether the ARC and DKIM signatures were good at level N-1.

That's why I said "modulo the i= difference"

Well, yeah. That i= is why we have ARC seals rather than just using a DKIM signature.

Remember that ARC is only useful if the last system sending the message to you is reasonably trustworthy, not in the sense that it never sends spam, but in the sense that its ARC tells the truth about what it saw. That's a low bar that any mailing list should be able to meet.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY