On 12/6/20 10:31 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On Sun 06/Dec/2020 18:01:04 +0100 Michael Thomas wrote:

This actually highlights why my observation is correct. If the intermediary showed how to reverse their changes perfectly to be able to validate the original signature, it says nothing about whether those changes to be delivered to the recipient are acceptable to the originating domain. for the case of a bank sending me sensitive mail, the answer is that it is never ok. for somebody working on internet standards working on ietf lists, the answer is that it is fine. hence trying to get two states of the one "reject" is insufficient.

For MLM transformations, this choice can be done by tuning DKIM signatures.  A bank can choose to sign Sender: field (or lack thereof), or any other fields that a MLM has to change, and possibly use simple canonicalization.  In that conditions, transformation reversion won't work.  It isn't a distinct DMARC state, formally.  Yet, tuning DKIM signatures allows to harden or weaken the given DMARC state.

It seems a lot simpler for the originating domain to just be explicit about how they feel about transformations by intermediaries. It's not like another short ascii string is going to break the bank.

Mike