On Mon 21/Dec/2020 22:01:44 +0100 John R Levine wrote:
What is evident is that, as conceived, failure reports break privacy enough to make an admin's skin crawl.

Right.

I think we should convey the fact that failure reports are (to be) sent in limited circumstances and with due circumspection.

Yes, that is more or less what I have been saying, only I'd say you probably don't want to send them at all since they have turned out not to be important.

Saying so ourselves would corroborate our credibility. One place to change is the second paragraph in the Introduction. For example:

OLD

   "Failure reports," or "failed message reports," provide diagnostic
   information about messages that a Mail Receiver has determined do not
   pass the DMARC mechanism.  These reports are generally sent at the
   time such messages are received and evaluated, to provide the Domain
   Owner with timely notification that such failures are occurring, and
   to provide information that may assist in diagnosing the cause of the
   failures.

NEW

   Failure reports provide detailed information about the failure of a single
   message or a group of similar messages failing for the same reason.  They
   are meant to aid extreme cases where a domain owner is unable to detect why
   failures reported in aggregate form did occur.  As an extension of other
   kinds of failure notifications, these reports can contain either the content
   of a failed message or just its header.  The latter characteristic entails
   severe privacy concerns.  For that reason, and because it turned out not to
   be important, failure reporting is usually disabled.

Best