Since the status quo is unauthenticated, I wonder if adding a signing
requirement will help.
Will recipients discad unsigned messages, or accept whatever is available
to maximize their information capture?  I suspect they will conrinye to
accept everything.

I think we would need an identified threat before recipients would be
motivated to discard.

But what about John's problems with receiving reports that should not have
gone to him?   I did not understand the root cause, but I would hope there
is something that can be done.  Would signing help receiving sites, those
with less sophistication than he has, be able to sort out noise more
effectively?