On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 3:51 AM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because CNAME usage was not mentioned in the previous DMARC document,
> existing implementations may not have tested this configuration.   For the
> policy publishing organization, this increases the possibility that some
> recipients may treat the mail as not protected by DMARC.     As with any
> deployment issue, the publishing organization has no reliable way to know
> if the deployment of DMARC implementations with full CNAME support is
> "essentially complete".  This uncertainty may be acceptable for some
> organizations, but may be an obstacle for others, depending on their
> motivations for implementing DMARC.
>
> On the implementation side, the use of CNAME will introduce the
> possibility of referral errors, which may or may not require mentioning in
> the DMARC specification, since such issues have probably been addressed in
> core DNS documents.   The issues that come to mind are:
> CNAME referrals to non-existent names
> Nested CNAME referrals (what depth is allowed?)
> CNAME referrals that produce loops or excessive nesting depth.

I don't understand why we need to say anything special about CNAMEs here.
They are processed by the resolver as they would be for any other
application.

If there's a bug in opendmarc, that's a different question that has nothing
to do with the output of the working group.

-MSK