On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 2:39 PM Charles Gregory <char...@possumdelight.com>
wrote:

> I DO think this is an unnecessary problem that CAN be fixed/improved in
> one of two fairly straightforward manners through DNS (behavior switch or
> list authorized alternate domains).  And I can't see anything but upside in
> doing so; nobody has demonstrated a downside anyways.  Yet I have no idea
> how such decisions are made or the part that anyone plays here.  I will
> review RFC 4407.  Thanks.

Even if ATPS had taken off, there's a matter of scale: Very large mailbox
providers like Gmail, Yahoo, etc., would need to find some way to populate
such a list.  They could let their users do it (though getting users to do
more work to manage their accounts is certain to be an uphill battle with a
lot of configuration detritus as collateral), or they could try to automate
it (a non-trivial and probably open-ended engineering investment).  Neither
path is appealing.

-MSK