On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 5:53 AM Todd Herr <todd.herr=
40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 7:19 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
>
>> On Wed 18/Aug/2021 22:17:57 +0200 Todd Herr wrote:
>> >
>> > The main update in this draft is removal of the "pct" tag, with an
>> > explanation as to why, and an introduction of the "t" tag in an effort
>> > to maintain the functionality provided today by "pct=0" and "pct=100".
>>

>> As held earlier, I disagree with such gratuitous breaking of the
>> existing installed base and published records.
>>

> I disagree with your characterization of removal of the "pct" tag as
> "gratuitous breaking"; the spec has long contained the following text:
>
> Only tags defined in this document or in later extensions, and thus added
> to that registry,
> are to be processed; unknown tags MUST be ignored.
>
> and so should a DMARC protocol without the "pct" tag be formally adopted,
> there should be no breaking of any existing DMARC implementations.

Not expressing an opinion on the new text, but just on this point:

I agree the parsers won't break from this change, but an operator currently
advertising "pct=33" will suddenly stop getting what it thought it was
asking for.  One could argue that this constitutes "breakage".

-MSK, participating