John's idea is workable for policy lookup, but the PSL is also used for
alignment and to protect the PSL names.

Alignment starts by finding the longest shared DNS path between two
addresses.   The resulting string must be longer than any PSL entry, to
verify that the names are in the same organization.

Additionally, any email domain-part which exactly matches a PSL entry is
fake (unless the PSL is wrong) and should be blocked.

An alternative would require every organization to create a DNS token that
says "ToipOfOrganization" at organization boundaires, but getting worldwide
participation is unlikely.

The best result would be for IANA to maintain the PSL.  It seems obvious
that this should be part of their job.  But I assume that has been tried
without success.