PSL entries are imputed with four important characteristics:
- name not valid for MAILFROM
- name not valid for FROM
- name not valid for DKIM
- name not valid as an alignment point for mismatched names.

For non-PSL names, the reverse is assumed by default - any name is valid
for any of these purposes.

It is important to note that the PSL covers all possible names -- if a name
prefix is not in the PSL, we assume it is a fake name.    Experience also
indicates that it is trusted as accurate.  We have not spent any time
talking about a need for PSL override rules.

Finding the first available DMARC policy, as John suggests, does not come
close to replacing the PSL.

- First, DMARC policies do not cover all possible names, which is a
rather critical problem.

- Secondly, even when they are present, the first-match DMARC policy does
not define all valid alignment points.   Consider unit2.example.com and
unit1.example.com.   Each unit may have its own DMARC policy, but the
parent domain may still be a valid alignment point.

I can test alignment without a DMARC policy, but I cannot test alignment
without a PSL or a comparable replacement.   We could define DNS flags to
cover the four PSL characteristics listed above, and those flags have
potential use cases outside of the PSL   But we have already concluded that
we cannot reliably expect every PSL to configure DNS entries to meet our
needs, so the DNS-based PSL would lack the necessary trust that we have in
the current PSL.

Doug