DMARC is an authentication test also.   The authentication of the first
identifier (SPF or DKIM) serves as a proxy to authenticate the second
identifer (FROM), which is conditioned on a satisfactory relationship
(equal or aligned) between the two domains.

You began to address the issue in your recent post, which included this:

I think that if we changed the relaxed definition to the same as or a
sub-domain of the From domain it would avoid potential issues like that
without practical impact.  I don't think I have ever seen legitimate mail
where Mail From or DKIM signing domain wasn't either the same or a
sub-domain of From that were in the same org domain.

You still need a way to protect the PSL names themselves, and this
paragraph does not do so.

Exact match to the authenticated domain is always sufficient to
authenticate the FROM domain.

>From a trust standpoint, the greatest trust occurs when the authenticated
identifier (SPF or DKIM) is the parent of the second identifier (FROM).
Based on my observed data, I agree that the norm is for FROM to be the
parent or the equal, rarely the child.   I should be able to provide some
data.   I will not have data about cousin relationships (unit1.example.com
aligned with unit2.example.com).

Doug