On Sunday, December 5, 2021 2:40:16 PM EST John Levine wrote:
> It appears that Scott Kitterman  <skl...@kitterman.com> said:
> >> How about if it has a null MX and a DMARC record or DKIM keys?  Remember
> >> that those records are at different names than the MX. ...
> >
> >There's two ways we could go at this question:
> >
> >1.  A domain that, except for the null mx, would fit the criteria for non-
> >existent.  This would be kind of weird, since mull mx only makes sense if
> >you have an A/AAAA, but I wouldn't think existence of a null mx alone
> >would be enough to make the domain 'exist'.
> >
> >2.  A domain which has an A/AAAA and null mx.  Since it claims to be a no
> >mail domain, we could treat it as not existing for DMARC purposes.  Since
> >RFC 7505 specifies null mx is for domains that don't accept mail, but is
> >silent on sending mail, these should probably exist for DMARC purposes.
> >
> >I think that your point is about #2 and I agree.  #1 is definitely a corner
> >case, but if the only thing there is a null mx, I'd be quite comfortable
> >saying it doesn't exist.
>
> It's about both.  What if a domain has a null MX and a DMARC record?  Maybe
> it has an SPF record, too.
>
> For your #2 you seem to be saying that if I send no-reply transactional
> mail, my DNS would look like this:
>
> notifiy.bigcorp.com. IN MX 0 .   /* we don't receive replies /*
>    IN A 0.0.0.0                  /* make the domain exist */
> _dmarc.notify.bigcorp.com. IN TXT "v=DMARC1; p=reject; ..." /* it's all
> aligned */ s._domainkey.notify.bigcorp.com. IN TXT "v=DKIM1; h=sha256;
> p=MIIBIjANB..." /* it's signed */

In the current definition one of MX, A, or AAAA needs to return something other
than NODATA or NXDOMAIN.

For #1, I'm not suggesting a change to the existence test based on TXT
records, so you're correct from my POV.  A domain can (based on the RFC 9091
definition that has been imported into the draft) already have an SPF record, a
DKIM key record, and a DMARC record and "not exist".  I think extending that
to maintain a state of non-existence when there is a null mx doesn't really
change anything, except to cover a corner case.

For #2, yes.  Something like that.  I don't think we want to make that domain
not exist since it clearly does.

This is  about if the sp= or np= policy should apply (if defined).  I think
it's reasonable to apply np= if the only thing that makes the domain exists in
our terms in the null mx (#1).  For #2, I think the sp= policy should apply.

Scott K