On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 11:29 PM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest that it is time to propose that RFC 5322 section 3.6.2 be
> revised to drop support for multiple From fields.   The market has clearly
> spoken that there the feature is not needed.   Every MUA that I have used
> is designed to solicit From and Friendly Name as separate and
> single-occurrence fields.   Similarly, those MUAs present Friendly Name and
> From as separate fields, with no evidence that they are designed or tested
> for lists.
>
> On the technical side, From headers are difficult to parse even with a
> single address.   The address is not consistently enclosed in angle
> brackets, and the Friendly Name is not reliability enclosed in quotes.
> Then one has to add the complexity associated with internationalization,
> and the possibility of local-parts that are quoted strings.   I cannot help
> expecting that some multi-address From lists will simply be mistaken as a
> complex Friendly Name with a single From address.
>
> Of course, an RFC 5322 revision will not happen quickly if ever, and we do
> not wish to hold our document or our breath waiting for that to happen.
> But I would like the issue documented.

The IETF emailcore working group is actively engaged in updates to RFCs
5321 and 5322. It would be much more appropriate for your suggestion to be
documented there, I think.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/emailcore/about/

--

*Todd Herr * | Technical Director, Standards and Ecosystem
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.