My testing was done more than a year ago.   My recollection is that I
discovered it based on something in the wild, and then confirmed it with a
locally-configured experiment.   This time I am having trouble finding
examples.

The only one I can verify is from a previous email exchange on this forum:

mail.foodnetwork.com
returns NXDOMAIN

but
_dmarc.mail.foodnetwork.com