(as participant)

Yes, that's clearly a broken implementation.

I imagine the DMARC document could say it relies on proper implementations
of 8020, but improper ones are known to be in the wild, and results are
unpredictable when these are encountered.  Given the IETF is a standards
organization, one could also argue that this is redundant or superfluous,
but it's probably also harmless.

-MSK