On Sun 17/Jul/2022 17:09:06 +0200 Scott Kitterman wrote:
Without John's change in the other step 2, that of Section 4.6, this step 2
should have been worded differently, but the concept is that a PSD which sends
mail or signs messages should be treated as a regular (sub)domain,/within/  the
process.  That is, without taking recourse to the statement, put after the
process steps:

   If this process does not determine the Organizational Domain, then
   the initial target domain is the Organizational Domain.
That's the one.

Recall that you corrected me on March 21st:
mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/VmB5_CMIrm9rulqlkILMMEw_nW8

Yes.

At that time the process would stop on psd=y even at the entry point. So John's change fixed it, in part.

I don't understand what you are arguing for the WG to do.  I believe that you
are agreeing that the current text gets the desired result and yet you still
want to change it because it should have been different if Section 4.6 was
different.

The reason I want to change it is that a mail From: <faked@com> brings the tree walk process to conclude that .com is an organizational domain, which is wrong.

I think the best way to avoid confusing the reader is to make sharp definitions to start with. We have these unimportant abnormal PSDs which we don't want to mention because they don't happen. However, logically oriented readers will spot the inconsistency and be confused.

Best