I hope you agree that .com is a domain. The spec says that in order to discover the Organizational Domain for a domain, I can perform the DNS Tree Walk as needed for any of the domains in question. That way, the domain in question, .com, is the Organizational Domain of itself. That is wrong because .com is a PSD.

Oh, perhaps "in question" refers to the three cases mentioned in the Section's intro? It doesn't say so, it says a tree walk "might start" there, without excluding other possibilities. "In question" can legitimately be understood to refer to any domain at hand.

Furthermore, the parenthesized reinforcement "if present and authenticated" in a domain in the first shortcut casts a shadow on the requirement that all identifiers except From: must be authenticated —if that requirement were clear, there'd be no need to reinforce it. This corroborates the wrong interpretation.

First, if .com had a DMARC record and .com sent mail, it could be both a PSD for lower level domains and it's own organizational domain for itself, so your conclusion is incorrect. We have discussed this multiple times. I think we most recently used .gov.uk as a more realistic example. I think we have been through this more than once and we should not do it again.

Second, your "Furthermore..." claim reads to me as because the text says the identifier must be present and authenticated, it will make readers likely to think that the opposite is true. I think you should take a step back and reconsider your suggestion as it doesn't seem at all logical to me.

Scott is correct and I wish people would stop trying to reargue decisions we already made.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",