On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 4:05:27 AM EDT Alessandro Vesely wrote:
> On Mon 25/Jul/2022 17:15:34 +0200 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Monday, July 25, 2022 9:59:02 AM EDT Alessandro Vesely wrote:

> > Here's what's currently in Git between the shortcuts and the numbered
> > steps
> >
> > (it's in Markdown, vice final RFC text, but I think it's clear enough):
> >> To discover the Organizational Domain for a domain, perform the DNS Tree
> >> Walk described in (#dns-tree-walk) as needed for any of the domains in
> >> question.
>
> What are the "domains in question"?
>
> >> For each Tree Walk that retrieved valid DMARC records, select the
> >> Organizational Domain from the domains for which valid DMARC records were
> >
> >> retrieved from the longest to the shortest:
> > If we change this to:
> >> To discover the Organizational Domain for these domains, perform the DNS
> >> Tree Walk described in (#dns-tree-walk) as needed for the domains in
> >> question.  For each Tree Walk that retrieved valid DMARC records, select
> >> the Organizational Domain from the domains for which valid DMARC records
> >> were>
> >> retrieved from the longest to the shortest:
> > Does that resolve your concern?  I changed "for a domain" to "for these
> > domains" to address your concern about relaxing requirements.  I think
> > you're wrong and it makes absolutely no difference, but if you think it's
> > better, believe it would do.  I do think the two sentences would better
> > be in one paragraph as they are not really separate ideas.
>
> How about moving the reference to the Tree Walk right to the first
> sentence at the beginning of the section, for example like so:
>

>      For Organizational Domain discovery, in general it is necessary to
>      perform two DNS Tree Walks (#dns-tree-walk)" in order to determine
>      if any two domains are in alignment.  Noteworthy exceptions are
>      described in (#shortcuts).  A DNS Tree Walk to discover an
>      Organizational Domain can start only at one of the following
>      locations:
>
>      * The domain in the RFC5322.From header of the message.
>      * The RFC5321.MailFrom domain if there is an SPF pass result for
>        the message.
>      * Any DKIM d= domain if there is a DKIM pass result for the
>        message for that domain.
>
>      For each Tree Walk that retrieved valid DMARC records, select the
>      Organizational Domain from the domains for which valid DMARC
>      records were retrieved from the longest to the shortest:
>
>      1  ...

Let's focus on this part, as I think it's most important.

In general, I think that's reasonable, but I think it needs work yet.  How
about this (and I'm fine with moving the note to the end):

> For Organizational Domain discovery, it will be necessary to perform one or
more DNS Tree Walks (#dns-tree-walk) to determine if any two domains are in
alignment. This means that a DNS Tree Walk to discover an Organizational
Domain will start at once of the following locations:

>     * The domain in the RFC5322.From header of the message.
>     * The RFC5321.MailFrom domain if there is an SPF pass result for the
>     message.
>     * Any DKIM d= domain if there is a DKIM pass result for the message for
>     that domain.

> To determine the Organizational Domain for any of thes domains, perform the
> DNS Tree Walk as needed the selected domain.  For each Tree Walk that
> retrieved valid DMARC records, select the Organizational Domain from the
> domains for which valid DMARC records were retrieved from the longest to the
> shortest:
>
>     1.   If a

Scott K