On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 2:30 PM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to lay out why I believe reports with server identity would be
> important to domain owners.  In this context, verification reduces
> ambiguity about whether the HELO name accurately identifies the server
> organization.  Reverse DNS can also be useful, but it may indicate the ISP
> rather than the server owner, so I started with just the HELO to reduce
> pushback.

But if you have verification (whatever you meant by that), what additional
value does the parameter to HELO/EHLO provide?

I've always considered it to be a random string, because the protocol
allows it to be such.  It doesn't necessarily mean or correlate to anything
as far as I can tell.

-MSK