Host names, both HELO and RevDNS, are not random

Data from my system

About 14% of incoming mail is blocked based on HELO or RevDNS filter
rules.   For these, I don't care if they are forward-confirmed or not.

If HELO is an IP address or anything that does not look like an FQDN, it is
almost certainly spam.

After excluding mail blocked based on source reputation, I have this data
on the remainder:

76.8% produce fcDNS on both HELO and RevDNS
  3.1% produce fcDNS on HELO but not RevDNS
  4.7% produce fcDNS on RevDNS and have the same domain as HELO, indirectly
verifying HELO
10.0% produce fcDNS on RevDNS alone

.Caveat:
If the RevDNS name is the ISP, and it forward-confirms, a malicious server
might set its HELO name to match the ISP's RevDNS name.   So fcDNS on HELO
does not prove ownership by the server domain.   However, this does not
prevent filtering on host names or fcDNS result when the domain being
queried is know to be something other than an ISP.

Doug Foster