On Thu 10/Nov/2022 12:52:33 +0100 John Levine wrote:
It appears that Alessandro Vesely  <ves...@tana.it> said:
A highlighted paragraph is the following:

    A message without a single, properly formed RFC5322.From header field
    does not comply with [RFC5322], and handling such a message is outside
    of the scope of this specification.

Where *single* seems to refer to the number of mailboxes. ...

No, this is a "single, properly formed RFC5322.From header field":

From: al...@example.com, b...@example.net

While this is not:

From: al...@example.com
From: b...@example.net

Oops, sorry.

In this case DKIM fails if From: is oversigned. Otherwise, DMARC could result in permerror if the message is not rejected as malformed, like Gmail.

We have never agreed what to do about From: header fields that have more
than one address.  My inclination is to say DMARC doesn't apply since they
are so rare and there is poor agreement about what they mean, particularly
if the addresses are in different domains.

What does it mean "doesn't apply" in terms of none/ pass/ fail/ policy/ neutral/ temperror/ permerror?

Best