For all the reasons you have observed, PERMERROR is the optimal result.
 This makes it clear that this is a special case which requires special
handling.

As for the concept, I disagree about it being a useful feature.   Any
configuration that does not occur at least once in every 100 million
messages is not something that should be used.   We cannot say that it is
prohibited without creating a layer violation, so PERMERROR is the next
best thing.    Gmail has been blocking dual-from messages for years, so the
practice has effectively been deprecated by the one player who is able to
make these decisions unilaterally and make them stick.

Doug Foster