As of last Christmas, I am on 100% validation of Mail From:.  Previously
unseen domains that cannot produce SPF PASS go to system quarantine.

After review, acceptable messages get a local policy to provide alternate
positive identification, usually of the form:. server domain name, fcDNS on
server name, and Mail From domain.   This solves the identification problem
without whitelisting, so messages still have to pass content filtering.
Unacceptable messages get blacklisted.   Either way, the authentication
problem does not need to be revisited for that domain.

In a few cases, I have solved SPF problems by trusting any domain on a
particular server platform.  It adds risk, but reduces the level of effort
wasted on lower risks,  so I can concentrate on higher risks.

I am not yet on 100% From validationm  I don't know if I will ever get
there, but my framework could support it in theory.  Right now, a lot of
smaller ESP traffic gets through without From verification, as long as it
passes content filtering.

I am filtering for my own organization, so I have to make the CEO happy
while keeping the organization free of devastating malware.   I had to
build a custom Sender Authentication process because I could not buy it
anywhere

But this group is not interested in the general authentication problem.  It
is only interested in the tiny subset of mail with DMARC p=reject.   That
scope definition has been a big disappointment for me.

Doug