On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On Sat 08/Apr/2023 15:59:30 +0200 John Levine wrote:
It appears that Eric D. Williams  <e...@infobro.com> said:

I think the reliance upon list operators is properly placed on that role. It's not a DMARC problem, it's a DKIM problem, I think.

No, it's a DMARC problem. DKIM didn't cause any problems for mailing lists (ignoring ill-advised and never used ADSP) until DMARC was layered on top of it, and AOL and Yahoo abused it to foist the support costs on the rest of the world after they let crooks steal their users' address books.

That's how it happened. Can we now accept their push? After so many email addresses became public, how about accepting that email addresses being public doesn't have to imply that anyone can impersonate them?

No, that's not what happened. People had been faking AOL and Yahoo addresses forever and the providers dealt with it. The problem was that spammers used the stolen address books to send spam from the addresses of people the recipients knew, and they were flooded with complaints "why are my friends spamming me." It's entirely the fault of those providers' poor security.

Re impersonating, until DMARC can tell the difference between impersonation and the kinds of ordinary forwarding we've been doing since the 1980s, nope.

R's,
John