> That's the sort of thing I proposed, and which some participants here are
> objecting to.  I continue not to understand the objection to clear language
> that
> says that if you do <this> under <these> conditions, it will cause problems,
> so
> don't do <this>.  I don't buy the idea that saying "don't do <this>" when we
> know
> that some deployers will ignore that makes us look out of touch with reality,
> but
> that *not* saying that is better (when that already *has* given DMARC a bad
> name in the wider Internet community).

I don’t think folks are objecting to cautionary language.  I think folks are
objecting to a blanket MUST NOT.  If we're going to qualify the MUST NOT with a
bunch of language, that's a bit different.   The original proposal was: "To be
explicitly clear: domains used for general-purpose email MUST NOT deploy a
DMARC policy of p=reject."  I'm still fuzzy on what constitutes general
purpose, or perhaps more accurately when p=reject is acceptable?  Is it
acceptable to use p=quarantine in those cases?  If a domain (such as
comcast.com) decides p=reject is what they really want .. then what? (I know,
we're not the protocol police..)

--
Alex Brotman
Sr. Engineer, Anti-Abuse & Messaging Policy